How come all the articles and blogs about Mother’s Day ooh and ahh over breakfast? Is that some sort of cruel joke? Like pink eye and notes from the principal? I don’t want breakfast – and I certainly don’t want it in bed. That’s just a disaster waiting to happen. I, for one, don’t want a bunch of syrupy, sticky kids on my good sheets. And I certainly don’t want to finally make my way downstairs to a kitchen that can only be described as horror-town.
But when it comes to Father’s Day, well game on! Now we’re talking steaks and burgers and cheesecake for dessert and 36 holes of golf and a nap in front of the tv. But, life is what it is and I am guessing that being a dad is thirsty work, mostly because dads have to live with moms and on a bad day we’re really not the most pleasant on the planet. Or so I’ve heard.
Searing a sizzling steak and flipping a fabulous burger is an art form. And one that we at Epicurean take seriously. But this year we are talking about cocktails. Because while Epicurean is known for food, we do a darn good job at mixing up the magic. Here’s our take on The Big Daddy Cocktail. Make one for that special guy in your life. And then make one for yourself, because you had to clean up the kitchen on Mother’s Day, remember?
The Big Daddy Cocktail
Prep time: 5 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 cup vodka, chilled
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, plus more for glass rims
- 2 tablespoons fine sugar
- Lime wedges and mint leaves, for garnish
- Combine vodka, pomegranate juice, orange liqueur and lime juice in a chilled cocktail shaker
- Dip the rims of four highball glasses with lime juice
- Place sugar on saucer and dip glasses to form a sugared rim
- Pour, garnish, and make a heartfelt toast to a good man