You know the saying: “If you can’t join them, beat them”? Wait – is that not how it goes? Oh. Oops.
I spend a handful of nights throughout the year watching awards shows on television. The Golden Globes, The Emmy Awards, and – the mother load – the Oscars. Seeing all of those spray-tanned, hair-extensioned, collagen-injected women (and men – yeah, I am talking to you Mr. Ben Affleck) brings out the best and worst in me. The best – I am snuggled on a friend’s couch and there is wine. A lot of wine. And dinner. And more wine. And someone else is cooking for me. Nice, right? The worst – how in the world can celebrities bleach their teeth to the point that their chompers are practically blue? How did Claire Danes lose all of that baby weight in 29 days? But, alas, I digress. At my last soirée, my dear friend John, who refers to himself as “The GayAsian” for obvious reasons, whipped up this delight. He calls it Lemongrass Chicken. I call it “Eat Your Heart Out, Hollywood.”
Lemon Grass Chicken
Prep Time: Marinate chicken overnight; prep time for the actual meal is approx 30 mins
- Six chicken breasts
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup of lemongrass (purchase this at a local Asian market or specialty grocery – you can find it already ground, saving tons of time)
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Half of a red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of basil, chopped
- Jasmine rice (as John says, “Don’t screw up the whole dish with some pathetic white rice – only Jasmine. ONLY Jasmine.”)
- Brown the (marinated) chicken
- In a separate pan, sauté the lemongrass with 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of garlic, 1 tsp of black pepper
- Throw everything together and cook for about 20 minutes. DONE AND ENJOY!
- Serve over Jasmine rice